Natural Language Processing
- Making computers understand and deal with natural (human) languages like English, Tamil, Spanish, etc.
- Exploiting human cleverness, and not computer cleverness
Natural Language Processing is a field of Computer Science and Linguistics concerned with the interactions between computers and natural (human) languages.
|Phonology||study of speech sounds|
|Morphology||study of meaningful components of words|
|Syntax||study of structural relationships between words|
|Semantics||study of meaning|
- Modeling the pronunciation of a word as a string of symbols – PHONES
- Involves study of syllables, how they sound and how they group together to produce the word sound.
- Notice the difference in sound of “C” in the following words:
- Identification, analysis and description of the structure of words.
- Study of structural variations of words
- INFLECTIONS in a word are structural changes, usually through affixes, to express Number, Tense, Case, Gender, Person, etc.
- dog – dogs
- goose – geese
- hunt – hunted
- his – hers
- WORD FORMATIONS includes a group of words that have a specific meaning when they appear together.
- mother in law
- hot dog
- Study of grammars
- Syntactic correctness in sentence formation
- Part of Speech tagging
- Adjective, etc
- I can write : Is “can” AUX VERB or VERB or NOUN?
- Understanding and representing the meaning
- Predicate Calculus can be used to represent semantics: Has(Ram, book)
Browse through the below presentation for more information on
- Ambiguity resolution
- Applications of NLP
- Machine Learning
Share this article